Our next institute will start in April. All are welcome to apply!
If you are interested in participating in a Math Circle Institute to learn how to be a math circle leader, please complete this form. Email email@example.com if you have any questions!
Engaging kids in mathematical discovery has long been touted as best practice in mathematics education, but the methods are obscure. In this 10-week long class you will learn methods and techniques and practices for leading collegial, non-competitive math circles, spreading the joy of discovery among students, and re-discovering how deep mathematics comes naturally from friendly conversation between peers, starting from "accessible mysteries."
Facilitated by Tifin Calcagni and Taylor Yeracaris, you will:
• Experience what it's like to be in a math circle, searching for mathematical meaning and sense-making of challenging problems
• Discuss strategies for structuring a math circle, that starts from a single "accessible mystery" that leads to deep mathematical inquiry
• Learn techniques for keeping a group actively engaged in challenging mathematics, including sharing their ideas and working together towards a shared goal
• Learn techniques for guiding inquiry in problem-solving
• Watch and critique math circles led by experienced leaders and your classmates
• Lead your own math circles with our group of students using the techniques and strategies you are learning, and get feedback from your instructors and classmates
10 x 90-minute sessions of instruction
Preparing and teaching two, one-hour math circles to kids
One-on-one sessions with facilitators planning and reflecting on the circles you ran
Cost: $350, which includes
• 10, 90-minute classes,
•2 private session preps with the facilitators,
•1 private reflection on your circles with the facilitators,
•A certificate for 30 hours of continuing education