Our next institute will take place on 10 consecutive Wednesdays starting April 5th, from 20:30-22:00 East Coast time.
If you are interested in participating in a Math Circle Institute to learn how to be a math circle leader, please click the link above to register. Email email@example.com if you have any questions!
Here is the syllabus for this institute.
Engaging kids in mathematical discovery has long been touted as best practice in mathematics education, but the methods are obscure. In this 10-week long class you will learn methods and techniques and practices for leading collegial, non-competitive math circles, spreading the joy of discovery among students, and re-discovering how deep mathematics comes naturally from friendly conversation between peers, starting from "accessible mysteries."
Facilitated by Tifin Calcagni and Taylor Yeracaris, you will:
• Experience what it's like to be in a math circle, searching for mathematical meaning and sense-making of challenging problems
• Discuss strategies for structuring a math circle, that starts from a single "accessible mystery" that leads to deep mathematical inquiry
• Learn techniques for keeping a group actively engaged in challenging mathematics, including sharing their ideas and working together towards a shared goal
• Learn techniques for guiding inquiry in problem-solving
• Watch and critique math circles led by experienced leaders and your classmates
• Lead your own math circles with our group of students using the techniques and strategies you are learning, and get feedback from your instructors and classmates
Schedule: 10 x 90-minute sessions of instruction plus:
• Preparing and teaching two, one-hour math circles to kids
• One-on-one sessions with facilitators planning and reflecting on the circles you ran
• Scholarships are available for those in need. If you need any assistance regarding this, don't hesitate to email Tifin at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Training Institute includes:
• 10, 90-minute classes,
• 2 private session preps with the facilitators,
• 1 private reflection on your circles with the facilitators,
• A certificate for 30 hours of continuing education